Vacancy: Communications & Social Media Officer
Title: Communications & Social Media Officer (2-4 years of experience)
Location: The Hague
Reporting to: Deputy Director
Period: Starting a.s.a.p. We offer a one year contract, with the possibility to extend by mutual agreement.
The Dr. Denis Mukwege Foundation is an international human rights organisation, dedicated to ending rape as a weapon of war globally. We work with survivors to create a world in which rape as a weapon of war is no longer tolerated, and to draw attention to the most inhumane crimes committed during conflicts.
Together with the Congolese gynaecologist and women’s rights activist Dr Denis Mukwege, we work for a future where survivors receive the holistic care they need and have the right to claim reparations; where they have the freedom to speak out and the ability to organise globally to end wartime sexual violence.
We support survivors in their struggle for recognition and their wish to actively participate in developing international and national policies related to justice, peace and women’s rights.
In order to achieve our goals, we aim to reach people worldwide and to engage them with our cause. Therefore, we are looking for a passionate, creative and ambitious communications professional, based in The Hague, for a part-time position (3-4 days per week), for an initial period of one year (with the possibility to extend).
For this role we envisage an all-round communications officer with 2-4 years of experience in a comparable setting, and with a strong interest in social media. Our organisation is small, but growing fast, which offers chances for a (junior to mid-level) professional to grow into this position and help shape it over the coming years. You will be assisted by a communications intern.
- Develop good protocols to handle general enquiries and manage enquiries coming in via different channels
- Handle and follow up media requests
- Manage press relations during planned events
- Maintain relationships with journalists and media outlets and seek to develop media partnerships
- Create opportunities for media appearances (op-eds, interviews etc.)
- Manage invitations and preapre presentations and talking points for speaking engagements, together with communication colleagues based at Panzi in the US and DRC
- Keep our website up to date, develop engaging and relevant content, and manage the process of translation to French
- Take the lead in creating our social media presence: create engaging content, stimulate more engagement, work with fundraising team on campaign to increase the Foundation’s profile
- Develop communication materials, editing, lay-out of documents in keeping with the Foundation’s house-style
- Help develop a solid strategic communications plan for the Foundation, which includes strengthening the brand identity of the organisation, integration of communications between different areas (advocacy, fundraising, etc.)
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Relevant university degree (for example communications or marketing), and/or 2+ years relevant working experience in a comparable setting.
- Sound knowledge of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and online communications.
- Experience of using WordPress, Google Analytics. SEO, graphic design, producing infographics and video editing skills would be a real advantage
- Strong writing skills in English (French and/or Dutch are a plus).
- Sincere interest in the topic of human and women’s rights, sexual violence and the non-profit sector.
- Flexibility, independence, reliability and commitment to the goals of the Foundation.
- High ethical standards of behaviour, good judgment, respect for others, diplomatic skills, confidentiality and attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work independently and to organise work efficiently and effectively.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter, your CV, and links to your own social media presence no later than 4 March 2019 to Debby Gruiters: email@example.com.
Start date: as soon as possible.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Foreign nationals need permission to stay and work in the Netherlands.